Last updated May 2023
Snapshot of position:
- The Chair is of Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Island descent
- 3 years clean time.
- Serves a two-year cycle.
- Primary Purpose: To carry the NA message to mob across the Continent
- Reports quarterly to the ARSC.
- Are considered ARSC participants (in accordance with the Policy and Procedure guidelines).
- Attends quarterly ARSC meetings (in accordance with the Policy and Procedure guidelines).
- Arranges for their subcommittee vice chair to attend a quarterly ARSC meetings if they are to be absent.
- The Chair to hold regular Subcommittee meetings between and during the ARSC.
- The person has deadly communication skills and is willing to liaise with an already established group of NA members as well as to attract others to the NA Indigenous Subcommittee. Yarning skills are necessary in the roles of both speaking and listening.
- The person can communicate with personnel from community organisations.
- The Chair will maintain connection and communication with Subcommittee members and with wider group of First Nations members about what the NA ARSC is doing and involved in.
- This involves both yarning and report writing.
- The person has reasonable computer skills for report writing and connecting in on-line meetings.
- The person will be able to connect with other Subcommittee members and ARSC members to organise PR & H&I events specifically aimed at appealing to prospective First Nations Australian members. Such events may be H&I and PR events at treatment centers, jails, medical services and community hubs. It may be organizing information stalls at community events or drug and alcohol information days (eg YABUN).
- Prepares a handover document for the incoming chair prior to leaving their position.
- The handover document will include all ongoing matters, policies and procedures pertaining to the operation of the sub-committee.
- Ensures that the firstname.lastname@example.org email address is kept active, by logging in and sending an email at least once per month.
*This position is funded for attendance at face-to-face ARSC Meetings (See also Travel policy and procedures).