Central Queensland Narcotics Anonymous Group Support Forum


Meeting start – 10:45am

Facilitator- Mustafa (Mus)

Minuets- Danette

Attendees – Mus, Merv, Indy, Lorin, Sean, Lee, Shane, Stewey, Michael, Danette, Eric

Apologies – Tammy, Nikki

GSF commenced with a moment of silence followed by a general rundown of what a GSF is about.

Did an I.D. around the table, clean time, home group, and service position.

Had a discussion about which topics the group members were most interested in tabling and discussing. Came to a group consensus about what to discuss.

Topics we committed to bringing to the table were;

1. Financial / Banking situation

2. Wednesday night Rockhampton meeting

3. Unity day / convention

4. Service positions and separating service positions

Topic One –

Discussion around how the 7th is currently being stored. Indy (CQ Treasurer) proposed setting up a bank account.

It was also noted that the Yeppoon & Emu Park meetings had been supporting the Rockhampton meeting with literature and resources to date.

Members spoke about how in other fellowships they had opened a bank account ensuring there were two signatories.

Action – Indy will look at what’s involved in setting up a bank account and bring her findings back to the group via Mus.

Topic Two –

Discussed how we aren’t comfortable with not having to pay rent for the meeting held on Wednesday nights at the Gumbi Gumbi rehab in Rockhampton. A few members were not happy with the fact that it isn’t in line with our traditions (7th) and how can we change this.

Action – Danette to make an appropriate time make an appointment with the Manager at Gumbi and propose that we pay a fee / make a donation to ensure we are keeping in line with our self-supporting traditions. Mus and Danette to attend.

Topic Three –

Discussion around Unity Day / Convention and how much work is involved in running one of these. Mus discussed the intricacies in pulling off a successful convention with other NA members experienced in Convention Committees and fed back some of the challenges involved.

Stewy then bought to the table his AA experience and how he has organized a weekend Recovery event before. Suggested that since NA is relatively in its infancy in the Capricornia Region that this might be a better idea than going straight into trying to hold a convention. So then it was discussed that perhaps we should have a unity weekend instead of jumping straight into a convention.

People then bought to the table ideas of possible venues where this could happen it was suggested that PCYC / Cool Waters Holiday Park as potential venues as they can cater for all budgets. It’s a location that has cabins, dorms and camping grounds.

It was also suggested that Lake Awaunga could be a possible location.

Stewy suggested that Great Keppel Island would be a good place for a unity day as well.

Action – Indy to do research on the PCYC option also possibly approaching the department of education on North Keppel Island. Stewy to do research on the Lake Awunga option too.

Topic 4 –

Service positions and allocating service positions

Yeppoon Meeting

Tammy – Secretary

Indy – Treasurer

Mus – GSR

Sean – Milk and bickies

Emu Park Meeting

Danette nominated Lorin as the Secretary of the Emu Park meeting and a a concencus from the group agreed which she happily accepted.

Lorin – Secretary

Indy – Treasurer

Mus – GSR & milk and bickies

Rockhampton Meeting

The Rockhampton meeting has historically had a transient membership / attendees, very few to no Home Group members, and service positions have been inconsistent. As only 2 Rockhampton members were present at the GSF, it was decided that a group conscience will be held on the 11/4/18 to try and allocate some service positions.

General Business

There were discussions / suggestions that we need to be educating the members early in recovery / and members from other 12 step fellowships on how to be less judgemental and that were are all on a journey. How we can best support each other in listening for the similarities and not the differences. How also to best “share” at a meeting. Suggested that this can done by setting an example in the way that the older cleaner members share. Possibly having a workshop about ‘how to best carry the message.’

We talked about making sure that we have the same pre amble across all meetings in CQ e.g. suggesting if anyone wants to make this meeting their home group all members raise their hand and see someone afterwards, mention that Alcohol is a Drug and we abstain from all drugs etc.

There was discussion in the group regarding whether or not a separate literature person needs to be appointed as this has been the role of the Treasurer to date. No change to this was decided upon.

Current 7th balance = $120

Miscellaneous Actions –

  1. Mus to share everyone’s numbers so that information can be shared accordingly and with everyone’s consent.
  2. Everyone (members) to text Mus their email addresses

Recepts were submitted and 7th for Rocky meeting to Treasurer

Date for next GSF will be on the 12/5/18

Facilitator – Indy

Minute taker – Lorin

Time & Venue – 10:30am @ Rockhampton Botanical Gardens

GSF closed at 12:25pm with the addict’s prayer and the group collective of the serenity prayer.

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply