|Host:||Wednesday Night – Rainbow Recovery – New Farm – 6:30 pm – 7:30 pm|
|Location:||Ithaca Hall – 99 Enoggera Terrace, Red Hill, Queensland 4059|
|Date:||Sunday, 18th August 2019|
|Time:||9:30 am – 11:00 am|
|Attendees:||Rainbow Recovery – Wednesday New Farm: Sonya M and Jason T
Literature Meeting – Sunday Paddington: Jason B
Spiritual Concepts – Sunday New Farm: Mel M
Newstead Waltz – Monday Newstead: Bruce G
Literature – Friday New Farm: Cameron W
Just for today – Saturday Morning New Farm: Mel M
|Apologies:||Women’s meeting – Sunday New Farm
Lunchies – New Farm
Living Clean – Tuesday West End
Steps and Traditions – Tuesday Spring Hill
Farsi Meeting – Wednesday Spring Hill
Literature – Wednesday West End
Women’s Sponsorship and Strength – Friday Bowen Hills
Literature – Thursday Paddington
Men’s Meeting – Thursday New Farm
Literature – Thursday Paddington
Men’s Meeting – Thursday New Farm
Identification – Saturday New Farm
Open with theService Prayer.
God grant us the knowledge that we may work according to your great divine precepts.
Install in us a sense of your purpose.
Make us servants of your will and grant us a bond of selflessness, that no addict anywhere need die from the horrors of addiction.
Group Report Backs
1. Rainbow Recovery – Wednesday New Farm:
|Atmosphere of recovery:||Has a great atmosphere of attendance with a total of 157 members, averaging about 31 a week. 14 newcomers which is an average of 3 a week.|
|Financials:||The group is financial and the rent is up to date. Did not fund flow last month. There is a decent prudent reserve.|
|Things going well:||Members state that they really feel like they are welcome.
The group has donated to the women’s meeting in Bowen Hills and Redcliffe.
|Could use some support:||There is an issue with storage at the new venue. The group is looking to get a locked box.
There has been an issue with smokers congregating and dropping their butts on the footpath.
Although the group has a large number of members only a core group of 4 – 6 consistently show up to group consciences. Suggestion: do something social to bring up attendance.
Literature Meeting – Sunday Paddington:
|Atmosphere of recovery:||The meeting is going really well with lots of positive comments. Averaging about 25 – 3o people a week.|
|Financials:||The group is financial with $375 in the bank. Although there is a need to pay some back rent and literature. But after that there should be some funds available to fund flow.|
|Things going well:||The group is attracting more home group members and has recently filled all of their service positions.|
|Could use some support:||No need for support.|
Spiritual Concepts – Sunday New Farm:
|Atmosphere of recovery:||Running well with 20 – 30 people to attending.|
|Financials:||The group has fund flowed and up to date with rent.|
|Things going well:||A lot of group members but not a lot showing up to conscience.
Rotation of service positions is going well.
|Could use some support:||No support required.|
Newstead Waltz – Monday Newstead:
|Atmosphere of recovery:||The meeting is going really well and has recently moved to a new venue in the QAC building on Helen Street.
The meeting is smaller than it used to be, though that is to be expected with 5 meetings now on in te greater Brisbane area.
|Financials:||$190 in the account rent of $180 a quarter is due in a month.
Literature is up to date.
Westpac bank as an account for treasury. Have implemented a new process to cover treasury.
|Things going well:||Updated the smoking policy – asking members to smoke across the road – smokers in the group are helping to police.
New venue is really nice.
Experimenting with various formats. Their preamble is good and Bruce will forward a copy to attendees.
|Could use some support:||Looking for more group members.|
Literature – Friday New Farm:
|Atmosphere of recovery:||Going great with 5 members, 4 of which are active.|
|Financials:||They have fund flowed $350 after spending $400 on literature and rent.|
|Things going well:||Giving away basic text to new comers. Changes to the seating format of a circle are also going well.|
|Could use some support:||They have received a letter from Communify about trespassers. We have asked members to be careful when attending.|
Just for today – Saturday Morning New Farm:
|Atmosphere of recovery:||Great atmosphere of recover with very high attendance of 35 – 45 members per week.|
|Financials:||The rent is up to date and the group has a healthy prudent reserve. Will be fund flowing once a group conscience can be held.|
|Things going well:||A lot of home group members.|
|Could use some support:||The venue is great, but needs more seating as people are sitting on the floor. Although the group has lots of group members; most leave directly after the end of the meeting.
The group has had some issues around smoking. Will be directing people to the car park to smoke.
There was an issue with dogs attending the meeting.
Previous GSF Topics
1. Brisbane 2020 Convention
- Follow up actions from last GSF:
- Collating a list of people interested in service positions
- People with experience to chair
- Firstly need to appoint a treasurer, chair and a committee.
- Need to consider dates and times
- Think about when you can do it, and have we got the appropriate people who have the event experience.
- Jason T to organise a meeting to kick things off.
- A good way to get the word out there is for someone to attend all of the Greater Brisbane GSFs.
2. ARSC Speaker Jam
- Wrap up:
- The event was a huge success.
- Learnings for next time:
- Not so long.
- Seventh was $205.50
- Venue hire was $122.50
- Raised $83.00
3. Pets attendance in the venue
- The issue around whether pets can be brought to meetings has been raised.
- An update from the Queensland and Northern Territory board:
- NA has no official position on service animals at meetings.
- NA’s public liability does not cover animals.
- Groups must look to their venue and their group conscience to determine whether they wish to allow pets and / or service animals at meetings.
- The owner who brings the pet will be liable for any loss resulting from bringing the pet or service animal to a meeting.
- It is suggested that GSRs take these details back to their groups.
4. Brisbane Inner City Group Support Forum venue and attendance
- This meeting is trialing a new venue.
- This didn’t work well.
- Discussion around ways to get people involved in the GSF.
- Want a board member to attend we need to do it during the week.
- Do it around a workshop or social event.
5. Brisbane Inner City NA Activities
- To be discussed at a later GSF.
New GSF Topics
1. Australian Regional Service Committee (ARSC) Update
- The ARSC was held on 20-21 July 2019 in Annerley.
- The outreach committee have nearly finalised discussions with NSW corrections, with plans to roll out virtual meetings into all NSW correction facilities.
- NA Today:
- WA, Qld and NT copies of the magazine disappeared. Lesson – tracking will be used going forward.
- Next edition will be ‘Why we work the steps’.
- Public Relations:
- If you have photos from PR week – please send them to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Implemented a procedure for proof reading all public facing posters.
- Gender neutrality:
- Australia and Sweden are collaborating on presenting a motion requesting to the world service board around gender neutral language.
- Spiritual Principles a day:
- There is new literature coming out.
- For a more detailed report see here:
2. Greater Queensland Service Board Update
- Hospitals and Institutions:
- There is a prison meeting group being held on 24th August 2019 – New Farm library 10:15 am.
- For details see https://www.na.org.au/multi/greaterqld/2019/08/10/h-i-prison-meeting-group/
- Website restyling:
- Was discussed and was awaiting return of the Australian IT Chair.
- A workshop to be held on restyling the Greater Queensland Area website.
- Public Relations:
- An effort has been made to spread the message using posters at police stations.
- Local Service Committee:
- Is being held 26th and 27th October 2019 at Ashgrove Bowls Club.
- The byline:
- Enjoy a weekend of Service workshops and Unity for QLD & NT NA Services.
- The board is meeting on a fortnightly basis to progress the LSC.
- Need to get the word out there that this is happening:
- Start announcing at meetings.
- Distribute the flyer.
- For event details see https://www.na.org.au/multi/events/qld-nt-local-service-conference/
- Organise another committee meeting to start with the organise
3. Phone line workshop
- New phone line services set up around Australia that uses a single number country wide.
- Calling the 1300 number routes the caller to a local NA member.
- This is a workshop that will induct and train members to take these calls.
- It is an online workshop scheduled on the 7th of September 2019.
- Invitations have been sent out, and will soon cascade down.
7. Next Group Support Forum
- The next GSF will be hosted by Friday Night New Farm meeting at 8:00 pm on Wednesday, the 25th September 2019; at New FarmCommunityHall.
Serenity prayer in the plural.
God, grant us the serenity to accept the things that we cannot change
The courage to change the things that we can
And the wisdom to know the difference.