Women’s Prison Roster Group Conscience (online) Minutes – 3 January 2021
Attendees: Meredith C (Chair/minutes), Amelia DC, Victoria S, Fran H, Ally D, Yvonne D, Siarah K
Southern Queensland Correctional Centre
- Group discussed the opportunity to change the meeting day from Friday to Saturday
|Determine Saturday meeting time||Meredith C|
|Ask David to advise if AA get in contact with him||Meredith C|
Helana Jones Centre
- Siarah requested to handover HJC Coordinator service position
- Victoria accepted the HJC Coordinator service position
|HJC handover with Victoria||Siarah K|
|Email Megan at HJC to introduce Victoria as new Coordinator||Siarah K|
Brisbane Women’s Correctional Centre
Group agreed to move from fortnightly to weekly BWCC meetings.
|Email Vicki and Fiona to determine interest in weekly NA meetings and preferred day and time.||Fran H|
Youth Detention Centre
Group agreed to postpone approaching the Brisbane Youth Detention Centre.
Probation and Parole
- The H&I Hub meet with Brisbane Central Probation and Parole in December to raise awareness about NA and the role it can play in client recovery.
- Approximately, 10-12 staff attended and were keen to add NA to their client ‘toolbox’.
- The Hub will meet regularly with Brisbane Central staff to remain connected, provide literature and arrange client information sessions.
- The Hub discussed approaching other Brisbane Probation and Parole offices to determine interest in connecting with NA.
- Group agreed to initially work with three Probation and Parole offices with a specific Coordinator for each office.
- Each Coordinator to be responsible for arranging regular information sessions with staff, literature and monthly client information sessions.
|Contact Brisbane Central Probation and Parole to determine which regions would benefit most from NA support||Meredith C|
|Update Group via WhatsApp||Meredith C|
Arthur Gorrie Correctional Centre
H&I Hub has commenced discussions with Arthur Gorrie to determine interest in NA information sessions.
- Centre was very receptive
- Due to space restrictions their preference is for NA to go in on a Saturday
- Male and female facilitators are welcome; three women with security clearance are available
- Looking for an information session format due to the transient (remand) nature of the facility
- Centre is very keen for us to present to the staff. Meredith C, Cam J and Peter M to present at staff training on January 21.
- Group discussed ways to provide women exiting correctional centres with NA meeting information and support phone numbers.
|Discuss options with Sisters Inside||Victoria S|
|Facility Coordinators to contact SQCC, HJC and BWCC regarding providing exiting women with meetings list and NA business card||Fran H, Victoria S|
|Download Reaching Out and get prison to print out||Victoria S|
Acknowledgement of Country
Group discussed including Acknowledgement of Country into prison meetings and information session format and decided it was not appropriate in a correctional facility environment.
Group Conscience will be held every four weeks, to alternate between:
- Thursday evening 7-8pm (after the H&I Hub meeting); and
- Saturday (every second Saturday) 4pm
Meredith C responsible for sending out Group Conscience reminders and meeting link.
Meredith C to:
- Text members on paid work rosters to determine their availability
- Send out WhatsApp invite to fill remaining prison roster spaces
- Final roster to be emailed to the Group two weeks in advance
- Send text message reminder 3 days before each meeting
Facility Meeting Feedback
Members to share:
- Short written summary via WhatsApp post facility meetings
- Verbal facility reports at Group Conscience and H&I Hub meetings
Meredith C will send link for Group members to attend H&I Hub meetings.
Group agreed to assign a Service Sponsor and a Group newcomer(s) as Service Support to each correctional facility.
Facility Service Sponsors for:
- Brisbane Women’s Correctional Centre – Fran H
- Southern Queensland Correctional Centre – Victoria S
- Helana Jones Correctional Centre – Victoria S
Service Sponsors will take the lead on:
- Communication with the facility
- Feedback to the Group and H&I Hub about meeting attendance, emerging issues etc
- Literature – NA pamphlets for meetings and NA books for prison libraries and detention units
- Promotion of NA meetings to the women within the facility
- Provide guidance to Service Support members
Service Support members are encouraged to:
- Assist Service Sponsors
- Step in when the Service Sponsor is unavailable
Meredith C to oversee:
- Management of security clearance applications
- Facility inductions
- Custodial awareness training
- Security clearance renewals
Group has access to donated Just for Today and Basic Texts for correctional facilities
Group created a literature service position – currently being filled by Meredith C
Literature Service Officer is responsible for ordering NA literature for all facilities through the FSO
Literature orders to be sent to Meredith C who will distribute the literature to facility Service Sponsors or Service Support members
Literature tax invoices will be passed onto the Board for payment by Meredith C