Brisbane South Group Support Forum (GSF) – Meeting Minutes March 2021

Narcotics Anonymous Brisbane South Group Service Forum

Monthly Meeting Minutes – March 2021

Date:  06/03/2021

Time:  12pm

Venue:  Bethania Community Centre

 Administration Committee for meeting March:

Position Name Present
Chairperson Rae Yes
Secretary Bridget Yes

Group Service Representative (GSR) in attendance:

Location/Details Meeting Day/Time GSR/REP
Online/Zoom Just for Today Daily 9:00–10:00am REP Leanne
Springwood Steps Lunchie Mon 12:30–1:30pm Absent
Alex. Hills Living in the Solution Mon 6:45–7:45pm GSR Bridget
Bethania Taboo Topics Mon 7:00–8:00pm GSR Kylie
Daisy Hill Spiritual Principals Tue 7:00–8:30pm REP Kellie
Richlands Give yourself a break Tue 7:00–8:00pm REP Tor
Acacia Ridge Topic Wed 7:00–8:00pm Absent
Goodna Let’s Recover Wed 7:00–8:00pm Absent
Springwood Topics Lunchie Wed 12:30–1:30pm Absent
Bethania Traditions Discussion Group Thur 5:45–6:45pm GSR Sharra
Bethania Literature Study Thur 7:00–8:00pm GSR Michele
Wynnum Thursday Thur 7:00–8:00pm GSR Leanne
Beenleigh Topic Fri 7:00–8:00pm GSR Jeff
Richlands Anything is Possible Fri 7:00–8:00pm GSR Tor
Park Ridge Topic Sat 10:00–11:00am GSR Kellie
Alex Hills Literature Study Sat 5:30–6:30 REP Jeff
Loganlea Just for Today Sun 5:30–6:30pm GSR Rachel

 Order of Business

1. Chairperson Opens Meeting:

  • Identifies their role in administration of GSF
  • Greets and welcomes all members and observers to the GSF meeting
  • Explanation of basic GSF order of business, meeting structure & suitable conduct
  • Emphasise that this is not our work, we are merely servants of a higher power

2. A Moments’ Silence

  • To remember why we are here and our primary purpose, ‘to carry the message of freedom from active addiction.’

3. Service Prayer (encourage all meeting participants to read):

“God, grant us knowledge that we may Serve according to Your Divine precepts. Instil in us a sense of Your purpose. Make us servants of Your will and grant us a bond of selflessness, that this may truly be Your work, not ours – in order that no addict, anywhere, need die from the horrors of addiction.”

4. Around the room identification of those present at the meeting

5. Quorum

  • A ‘quorum’ is the minimum number of members of an assembly or society that must be present at any of its meetings to make the proceedings of that meeting valid’
    • Quorum has been set as a minimum of 50% of groups represented by a GSR
    • There are a total of 17 groups in the Brisbane South area
    • Therefore, a quorum of 50% or a minimum of 9 GSR’s must be in attendance in order for each GSF to proceed
    • Confirmation that if a GSR is representing another group because their GSR could not attend, that they are only counted as one vote for the quorum to be achieved
  • Count of voting members (GSR’s) – 9
  • Vote to establish quorum carried – 9
  • Vote to recognise observers – Accepted
    • Alan (Observer)
    • Rayewyn (March GSF Secretary)
    • Wade (GSF Treasurer)
  • Group Consensus reached – Yes
    • Seconded by – Michele (GSR for Bethania Thurs Literature Study)

6. Apologies read out from GSR’s unable to attend

7. Brisbane South GSF Monthly Group Reports


Daily/Online Just for Today (Zoom 9:00-10:00 AM)
GSR Dee (represented by Leanne, GSR for Wynnum Thursday)
Funds Held $81.60
Rent Zoom invoice paid up until June 2021
Other Matters §  2 new home group members

§  $100 fund flow to area done this month


Springwood Steps Lunchie (12:30-1:00 PM)
GSR Absent
Funds Held
Alexandra Hills Living in the Solution (6:45-7:45 PM)                                           
GSR Bridget
Funds Held $138.65
Attendance 15-20
Rent Paid up to date
Other §  Frequent newcomers, atmosphere of recovery ensured by home group members ensuring all newcomers are welcomed and given phone numbers and details for other local meetings

§  Bridget (GSR) also holding Secretary and Treasurer positions due to insufficient clean-time of home group members, awaiting members with enough clean time to attend group conscience next month to volunteer

§  Out of white key tags, awaiting GSO replenishment, also need literature order

Bethania Taboo Topics (7:00-8:00 PM)
GSR Kylie
Funds Held $213
Attendance 8-12
Rent Rent due, awaiting invoice from venue (new management)
Other Will need literature order this month


Richlands Give Yourself a Break (7:00-8:00 PM)
Funds Held $128.78
Attendance 9
Rent Paid up to date
Other Matters Nothing to fund flow, literature still to be purchased
Daisy Hill Spiritual Principles (7:00-8:30 PM)
GSR Michael (represented by Kellie, GSR Park Ridge)
Funds Held $177.10
Attendance 15-20
Rent Paid up to date
Other Matters Fine for literature and key tags, no issues


Springwood Topics Lunchie (12:30-1:30 PM)
GSR Absent
Funds Held
Other Matters
Acacia Ridge Topic (7:00-8:00 PM)
GSR Absent
Funds Held
Other Matters


Goodna Let’s Recover (12:30-1:30 PM)
GSR Absent
Funds Held
Other Matters
Bethania 12 Traditions Discussion Group (5:45-6:45 PM)
GSR Sharra
Funds Held $32.90
Attendance 4
Rent Rent due, awaiting invoice from venue (new management)
Other Matters Needs support, new format working well, thinking of closing
Bethania Literature Study (7:00-8:00 PM)
GSR Michelle
Funds Held $136.60
Attendance 12-20
Rent Rent due, awaiting invoice from venue (new management)
Other Matters Plenty of literature, welcoming atmosphere of recovery
Wynnum Thursday (7:00-8:00 PM)
GSR Leanne
Funds Held $113.80
Attendance approx. 20
Rent Paid up to date
Other Matters Needs support


Beenleigh Topic (7:00-8:30 PM)
GSR Jeff
Funds Held $87.05
Rent Paid up for 12 months until January 2022 ($520)
Other Matters No issues
Richlands Anything is Possible (7:00-8:30 PM)
Funds Held
Other Matters


Park Ridge Topic (10:00-11:00 AM)
GSR Kellie
Funds Held $247.10
Attendance 8-10
Rent Paid up to date
Other Matters §  Fine for literature and key tags, no issues

§  Meeting time not being changed for the foreseeable future as venue has not gotten back to the group

Alex Hills Literature Study (5:30-6:30 PM)
GSR Beau (Represented by Jeff, GSR for Beenleigh)
Funds Held $272.35
Attendance approx. 15
Rent Paid up to date
Other Matters Needs support


Loganlea Just for Today (5:30-6:30 PM)
GSR Rachel
Funds Held $201.40
Attendance 20
Rent Paid up to date
Other Matters No issues


Social Media Subcommittee (now disbanded)
Chair Bridget
Update §  As the Facebook Group is undergoing a name change to remove NA from the title, the Social Media Subcommittee is being disbanded

§  The individuals who are Admins and Moderators of the Facebook Group are simply “practicing these principles in all our affairs” in how they have set up group rules and undertake admin actions and decisions (i.e., being guided by the 12 traditions of NA)

§  The temporary name is Recovery Group Brisbane South to avoid any further controversy or distraction from the spirit of the community

§  A poll has been placed up for members to vote on their preference for re-naming of the group, which will be done in 21 days as Facebook does not allow a group name to be changed more frequently than this

§  The Admin and Moderator team is still open to expressions of interest of anyone wishing to be involved and will post this message periodically to invite this

§  However, there will be no further reports at the GSF of activities of the Facebook Group as the Subcommittee no longer exists

Public Relations Subcommittee
Chair Absent
Update No update provided

8. Old Business

  • GSF Venue (Jeff)
    • Booked and paid for the next year – 2 hours on the first Saturday every month at Bethania Community Centre 12pm
    • Jeff to send invoice to Bridget to post on the website as part of the minutes (image below)

  • Brisbane South GSF Treasury Update (Wade)
    • Accounts organised, money in the account (Brisbane Southside)
    • $100 drawn and brought to the GSF for the upcoming Easter event (Easter eggs?)
      • Wade is holding this cash until contacted by event organisers/Syrah
    • Copy of receipt confirming proof of account set up and balance sent to Bridget for inclusion in March minutes (image below)
    • Need another signatory on the account, Syrah has not actioned this from last GSF minutes
    • Tabled to select someone new to do this task
      • Motioned by Wade, seconded by Jeff
      • Co-signatory nominated – Jeff
        • Seconded by – Bridget
      • 7th tradition for all NA activities/events in our area to go into the bank account but 7th from groups to continue to fund flow to greater NA as decided by each group

  • Brisbane South NA Easter Event
    • Event flier has been circulated to various members and posted on social media
    • Announce this event in meetings to encourage attendance
    • Observed that this event (Sunday 4th of April) is the day after the next GSF (Saturday 3rd of April)
  • LSC Report (Tor)
    • After 3 years of the new service structure things seem to be working well
    • Discussion about how to help support groups at GSF level
    • New board members elected, good to have additional board members to help undertake responsibilities
    • Next LSC, Elliot (APAC RD) – coming along to explain the change structure to NFP
      • Previous concern about tax fraud due to the amount of 7th tradition being collected and held, charity status will overcome this as a legal umbrella
    • LSC is held every 3 months

9. New Business

  • Thursday Traditions Meeting (Sharra and Kylie)
    • Numbers not good
    • Old format not working well
    • Group conscience held last Thursday to change format and it has gone better as it is simpler
    • The meeting still needs support/numbers; running the meeting at least one more time to try and keep it running, if there are no numbers, it might not continue
    • Option to change to a different day or location not discussed as yet, to be considered by the group members at their next group conscience
  • Other meetings in the area needing support
    • Alex Hills Saturday and Wynnum Thursday advise that their numbers have also dropped, requesting announcements of support at other local meetings
  • Brisbane South Workshops
    • Traditions meeting potentially go into a workshop mode? (Tor)
    • Interest shown by multiple members present
    • Suggestion for a tradition workshop to be done before the GSF each month by OCM’s from outside of the Brisbane South Area (Michelle)
  • Brisbane South GSF focus on Unity
    • Focus on action to bring fellowship back together to carry out our primary purpose
    • Encourage attendance at upcoming Easter Event
    • Future planning on 12 step-feast, maybe consider July/August, take this back to groups to get feedback
  • H&I at Logan House (Michele)
    • No literature was available there at recent H&I
    • Each group to donate some pamphlets?
    • Suggestion that the next people to go there could take some pamphlets from their group as a donation
    • Dedicated meetings list for Brisbane South area to be printed and taken as well
  • Posting of GSF Minutes on Greater Northern Area NA Website
    • Offer to hold a Zoom meeting to show others how to post minutes on GNA NA website but this will be in a month’s time or longer due to personal commitments (Bridget)
    • One on one support can be provided if asked in the meantime (Bridget, or contact Jason Taylor or Bruce Gardiner from LSC or ASC for assistance)
    • Template can be sent by email for people taking minutes to make things easier for them (Bridget)
  • Service Roles at GSF Monthly Meetings
    • Tabled that anyone is able to chair or perform secretary duties at the GSF and that they don’t necessarily have to be a GSR (Bridget)
      • Seconded – Michele (GSR Bethania Thursday Literature Study)
    • If you are unable to fulfil the role you have nominated to fill at the upcoming GSF, it would be greatly appreciated if you try to find someone to fill in for you
  • Next GSF confirmed as Saturday April 3rd 2021@ 12pm at Bethania Community Centre

10. Announcements

Administration Committee for meeting next GSF (April):

Position Name
Secretary Kellie

11. Close with the Service Serenity Prayer

“God, grant us the serenity to accept the things we cannot change,
the courage to change the things we can,
and the wisdom to know the difference.”

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply