NA Northern Australia Service Board Meeting minutes held on 27/2/23

Location:  Virtual Zoom
Meeting ID: 487 569 8440
Pass code 865364
Meeting Link
Date:  27th February, 2023
Time:  6:30 pm
Facilitator:  John C.
Minutes: Sami
Attendees: Sami; Nate; Brad; John;

1.1. Chair’s welcome.
1.2. Service prayer:
God, grant us the knowledge that we may act according to your divine precepts. Instill in us a sense of your purpose. Make us servants of your will and grant us a bondage of selflessness, that this may truly be your work, not ours – in order that no addict, anywhere, need die from the horrors of addiction.
1.3. Acknowledgement of Country
Today we stand in footsteps millennia old. May we acknowledge the traditional owners whose cultures and customs have nurtured, and continue to nurture, this land, since men and women awoke from the great dream. We honour the presence of these ancestors who reside in the imagination of this land and whose irrepressible spirituality flows through all creation.
1.4. ID of those present
1.5. Apologies.

2.1. RCM
2.1.1. Minutes are available online as from December 2022;
2.1.2. Region will be held 11th and 12th March; the regional delegate and alt. delegate of the Australian region are going to the Asia Pacific forum 4th and 5th March;

2.2. Treasurer
2.2.1. Reports are posted on the web
2.2.2. Michael will fund flow @$2,000.00 by the end of the month;
2.2.3. An email was sent to sub-account holders encouraging fund flow to service area;

2.3. H & I Hub
2.3.1. Mark Street Boarding House
2.3.2. Michael has had a good response from his roster group in going into the boarding house; there is around 30 names on his roster (only 8 females); looking for more females to balance out the genders;
2.3.3. Rachel has taken over the HADS roster; Meredith will check in with her about who might be interested
2.3.4. John to announce at meetings that members are required for the boarding house
2.3.5. Qld Correctional Service has got back to Meredith about online H&I; Meredith will follow up with Brigid Juric, Digital Services & IT Branch; hoping to have Townsville come on board
2.3.6. There are applications in the pipeline for Brisbane Women’s so hopefully a roster will be up and running soon;
2.3.7. Arthur Gorrie

2.4. LSC – Strategic Group Service Planning
2.4.1. Each board member to organise printing out the flyer and taking it to their home groups to discuss; some groups will struggle to fill positions due to not enough members;

2.5. PR
2.5.1. John has ordered and collected the stickers and business cards; John to email all the areas to see if they need posters, business cards or stickers; John has advised that stickers can go into the phone booths and any questions are to be directed to the PR Coordinator (John)
2.5.2. Brad suggested that we contact Qld Rail to have one of our ads on their rotating digital sign; John to follow up with Krissy;

2.6. Website / Outreach
2.6.1. Sami is monitoring the webservant email address and scheduling zoom meeting requests;
2.6.2. Webpage update is on hold at present;

2.7. Board enquiries and contacts – email/ mail / etc.
2.7.1. Emails:

From: Re:
Aust Post x 3 Mail collection
Michael B. Treasury reports
Webservant x 2 GSR Report Love Street Lunchie
Aust Post Payment for PO Box
Michael B. Advised he’d paid for PO Box and requesting reimbursement
Webservant GSR Report New Farm
John C. Confirming reimbursement for PO Box
Kerry Fraser x 2 Requesting copy of Public Liability Insurance
H&I Qld Opportunity for H&I at boarding house
Aust Post x 2 Mail collection
Michael B. NANASA Sub-accounts
Michael B. Requesting interest for going onto H&I roster
Rachael L. Expressing interest to go onto H&I roster
Stuart C. Expressing interest to go onto H&I roster
PR Northern Aust Zoom meetings
Aust Post Mail collection
Nina-Rae S. Zoom meeting

2.7.2. Mail: couple of letters from inmates which have been passed onto H&I

2.8. New Items
2.8.1. Townsville Unity Day – Sami to get clarification about what Townsville wants funding for (eg hall hire; catering etc); Brad advised that region will be held on the first weekend in June so be mindful when organizing date; John suggested that council requirements are checked prior to organizing the unity day; Michael advised that there is funds available, Sami to organise a budget and submit it to the board for consideration;


Item to be actioned Person Responsible Due Date Status
Website Update Jason & Sami TBA Ongoing
Need for a literature coordinator Meredith TBA Ongoing
Recruit more board members Everyone TBA Ongoing
Flyer about LSC to be forwarded to board members; board members to review Sami Next board meeting Closed
Covid restrictions in prisons Meredith Next board meeting In progress
Bailey Henderson Hospital need meetings? Meredith TBA In progress
Encourage fund flow with sub-accounts Michael Next board meeting In progress
Contact Qld Rail re: rotating digital signs John C. TBA Ongoing
Email Chermside Secure Mental Health Facility John C. TBA Ongoing
Email GSR list to board members Sami Next Board meeting In progress

4.1. Next meeting: Monday 27th March, 2023 at 6.30pm
4.2. Serenity prayer in the plural:
God, grant us the serenity to accept the things we cannot change. The courage to change the things we can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply