Welcome to the Greater Queensland Local Service Page
This site has been developed to enhance NA Service communications in the Queensland Area of Narcotics Anonymous.
Any member can register and contribute.
Please keep in mind that this website is public facing and that content may be read by anyone and content could be seen as a reflection of NA as a whole. Always be respectful and observe the Steps, Traditions and Concepts when participating.
For instructions on using this site click here.
To fund flow to the Greater Queensland Area check bank account details here.
GSF Name: Brisbane Inner City
GSF Delegate Name and Contact Details: Mikhala
GSF Meeting Day and Time: Sunday 25 Nov. 18, 1.30pm-3.30pm
GSF Meeting Location: Lower Bowen Tce, New Farm
Opened with moment of silence, serenity prayer in the plural, read around the room the ‘purpose of gsf’.
Group Names, Days, Times, Contacts:
Sunday 4.30pm Spiritual Concepts, New Farm (Facilitated the GSF)
General members of NA inner city with no home group
Saturday 8.45am New Farm
Tuesday 6.30pm Steps and Traditions, Spring Hill
- Ben A
Wednesday 6.15pm Rainbow Recovery, New Farm
Monday 7.30pm Villiers Street, New Farm
Mon – Fri 12.15pm New Farm Lunchy’s
- Ben A
Saturday 6.30pm New Farm
Group Report Backs
Sunday Spiritual Concepts
Meeting attendance is good, hosted the GSF, has fund flowed $200 to area, all service positions filled.
Fund flowing to Area, received bank details. Discussion around using ‘research’ as a synonym for ‘relapse’ and how this can harm those returning from relapse. Implementing an acknowledgement of country.
New treasurer (Ben). 5 secretaries. Working around having so many meetings and how to manage the money.
Reports 7th received at each meeting and where funds are at. Wants to change service positions regularly to avoid any one person being in charge of the meeting. Every 3 months suggested. Sam is handing over the keys as secretary soon. The meeting needs active home group members. There is a lack of older cleaner members helping out. Members at GSF put their hands up to help open the meeting.
Ben and Aaron dropping meetings lists around local area. Group is deciding to move venue due to increased attendance. Has fund flowed to area. Moved to 6.30pm start time, now doing traditions every second week. Lots of home group members, group is expanding.
Venue unavailable more often which is an issue, holding it in the Rotunda on these weeks. Needs more home group members. Has strong attendance, lots of new comers but not much older cleaners joining the group.
Fund flowed $200 to area. Rent has been paid. 6 home group members. Discussed making the group a safer space for LGBTIQ+ members who attend. Some members feeling unrepresented with non-lgbtiq attendance. Have reached out to rainbow meetings in other regions for support.
New meeting: Farsi Speaking
Farsi speaking addicts who don’t speak English struggle to attend English only meetings and hear the message. Farsi speaking members around 6 men prepared to help start a new meeting. Discussed getting funds to help with literature and rent. Members to contact the board.
New meeting: Early mornings 7-8am
Reza and Ali want to start an early morning meeting in the city Monday and Thursdays 7-8am. Some members discussed how previous early morning meetings have shut, insurance and members to contact board for more info.
Ozcare H& I: Suggestion
Natan asked if we could bring a h&I meeting to the mens shelter in west end. Group discussed this, and directed Natan to speak to the board. Speak to Dave’s that run Hads and Moonyah roster.
Christmas Day Fellowship
Hayley, Brad, Mikhala, Mel to start organising a Christmas day event. Sat AM meeting to help.
Encouraging newcomers to do service
Share that it includes cleaning and packing away chairs, small stuff not just official roles. Thank those that do service, lack of mentoring from OCMs, importance of sponsors to share with sponsee’s the importance of service and what that means. Have a greeter (in Iran, they wear a badge) to welcome people to the meeting. Groups responsibility to encourage service and welcome new comers,
Local Service Conference and Convention
Discussed whether the Inner City was willing to help organise venue and catering for the LSC next year. Hayley, Brad, Natasha, Natan and Mandy put their hands up.
Reza, Ben, Brad, Hayley, Mel, Natasha, Mandy put their hands up to help organise a convention for Brisbane. Concern about whether it will conflict with the Byron convention or Cairns.
Date: Early Jan, 5th or 6th
Host: Rainbow or Villiers St
To be posted on the website once decided
May hold a workshop on how to get and keep home group members
Average Weekly Attendance
Trusted Servant Topics
Treasurer and Secretary Janice
Literature and Tea/Coffee Monique
Atmosphere of Recovery
The atmosphere is calm welcoming .
Topics of discussion are varied for each meeting .
A group Conscience was held and decided , at the end of the meeting for sponsors to make them selves known .
– need more LGBTI topics / discussion
FInancial figures supplied by treasurer Janice
Prudent Reserve (Remaining Balance)
Your Email Address
Area Secretary’s Email Address
BOARD REPORT – November 2018
On the 11th of November 2017 the LSC selected 13 members to be part of the inaugural Local Service Board of NA Queensland.
- The Local Service Board is currently comprised of 9 members, we have lost Board members who represented Townsville, Rockhampton, and Toowoomba since the last Local Service Conference in May 2018.
- The Board currently has 3 members who serve on the Regional Board.
- The current Service Board meets monthly via SKYPE meeting, with additional ad-hoc meetings often on a weekly basis in relation to outstanding issues such as outreach, PR, and structural components such as development of guidelines.
- This Board continues to adopt the new consensus based decision-making concept where every Board member has an equal voice, we have a rolling facilitator at each monthly meeting and a rolling agenda, which we try to work through.
- A Forward Planning action plan framework has been developed by the Board which addresses issues of priority that have become apparent to best serve NA in QLD, as well as feedback received and issues raised at the previous LSC in May this year.
- Northern Territory – 6 meetings from the Northern Territory have reached out for support from the NA QLD fellowship and we believe that we have the resources to be able to facilitate support for this fellowship.
Forward Planning Actions
Components of the Forward Planning action plan framework that have been actioned by the Board of QLD following the previous Conference that include:
- The email@example.com Outlook email account is working well in relation to communication between the NA fellowship of QLD and the QLD Service Board.
- Greater Queensland Local Service Page website is working well in relation to transparency from the Board around BOQ bank statements and Board minutes, as well as GSF minutes and notes. Some work could be done to organise this page to make it more accessible/searchable for members. Members of the board have been nominated to administrate this
- Social media page “Greater QLD Facebook page” is established and creates another platform for communication. It now contains a pinned post outlining its purpose. The group currently has 44 members and we would encourage Queensland members to join the page as a way of staying aware of activities in the area.
- Hyperlink page on website – Service tools as required by individuals and GSF’s can be utilised such as: H&I, PR, venue hire, GSF working guides, and literature downloads.
- The Board has made an open invite to GSF members to attend Board meetings, however to date, only one GSF member has attended. Meetings are held on the first Monday of the month at 7:30, anyone who is interested should email the board for details at the above address so that they can be added to the skype list
- A contact list has been produced from the previous two Conferences comprised of GSF and board members who wish to be contacted in relation to upcoming Conferences and events. Invitations to the November LSC where issued through this service. Any GSFs who believe they should be on this list and did not receive the invite should recheck with a board member to ensure we have correct contact details.
- The board has been developing a service guide and webinar to provide information to GSFs on the structure of the greater Queensland area and the function on GSFs as a guide. This guide is in the final stages of development and should be available soon
- The board has been collating documents from global NA sources which outline both service structure and procedural guidance for various areas of service to assist in providing the fellowship with more tools. Development of these tools is an ongoing action item.
- Met with Regional IT chair to review the function of the national phoneline service and agreed to table this as a recommended service for the Queensland area as a whole at the LSC (sunshine coast has already implemented)
- We have provided literature to new start-up meetings (e.g. Mt Isa)
- We have been approached by groups requesting financial support a retreat. While the board supported the spirit of the event, it became clear that the proposed event could be cost prohibitive for many members and would have required a commitment by the board to fund any shortfall in attendance. The board spent time with the organisers to understand their model and discuss alternatives to reduce the cost of the location and might have enabled day visitors to attend however the options didn’t meet the original intentions. The board determined that the risk that and potential financial impact too high and could have seriously depleted the potential funds available to support a larger more potentially inclusive event
- The board decided that there was value in running a workshop at the LSC to support an event for the greater Queensland area that would help to promote unity in the fellowship
Challenges that the Board have faced include:
- The timing of the November 2018 Local Service Conference has been contentious in its limited notice as the Board has placed some expectation on this conference being driven by the Group Service Forums in its planning, with the Board actioning the Conference to go ahead in November as planned without direction otherwise from the GSF’s.
- The Board continue to discuss how best to reach out to the NA community of QLD and various options to improve this two-way communication.