Welcome to the Greater Queensland Local Service Page
This site has been developed to enhance NA Service communications in the Queensland Area of Narcotics Anonymous.
Any member can register and contribute.
Please keep in mind that this website is public facing and that content may be read by anyone and content could be seen as a reflection of NA as a whole. Always be respectful and observe the Steps, Traditions and Concepts when participating.
For instructions on using this site click here.
To fund flow to the Greater Queensland Area check bank account details here.
NORTHSIDE GSF MINUTES: May 6, 2018
LAWNTON SHOW GROUND: 9:30AM – 11.30AM
Michele – Caboolture Chair
Deebs – Deception Bay Minute taking
Jackie – Nundah
John – Strathpine
Deb – Sandgate
Liah – Sandgate
READING OF CONCEPT No 1
READING LAST MONTHS MINUTES – Accepted by all
Discussion of previous minutes/old business:
- Attending groups only to contribute to the GSF 7th tradition. Current funds held $34
- LSC rep: Rob has resigned as GSR with Deebs as alternate to step into position
- John has tried to contact Kristian of Mitchelton meeting to ascertain participation in Northside GSF with no success
- BBQ: Northside bbq was a great success with roughly 40 adults in attendance and numerous kids. All Northside meetings have received positive feedback and requests for another bbq/activity to happen in the near future. General thanks Northside meetings/members that participated and a special mention to Lisa of Sandgate that came and provided tea and coffee to all.
- Emails need to be forwarded to ALL members in the group to keep messages/information transparent.
Nundah womens: Group is doing well with consistent numbers in attendance. Rent is up to date and group has just purchased some literature to sell. Looking at saving up to purchase a “serenity prayer” banner.
Deception Bay: Group is doing well with consistent numbers in attendance. Rent is up to date and literature stocks up. Keeping funds at community level (activities, etc) until fund flow is clarified by LSC.
Caboolture: Group is doing well with consistent numbers in attendance. Rent is up to date and literature stocks up. Keeping funds at community level (activities, etc) until fund flow is clarified by LSC.
Strathpine: Group is doing well with consistent members in attendance. Rent is up to date and literature stocks up. Fund flowing and has prudent reserve.
Agenda Items/New Business:
- John concerned about structure of the meeting and would like the chair, if raising issues of a controversial nature where they are personally invested, to pass the chairing responsibility over to another member. All members present agreed. John would also like people to be allowed to express issues/concerns without being interrupted or talked over, to allow all voices to be heard. All members in attendance agreed and believe that members need to be able to express opinions and beliefs in a safe/supportive environment.
- Discussion was raised regarding each group’s use of the monies raised from the 7th. All groups are using funds at the local level to carry the message eg literature, area activities. One group has decided to pass funds to the LSC; 2 groups in attendance have decided to hold funds until more information on fund distribution is provided by the LSC.
- Current minutes from this meeting forward to be uploaded to the NA Australia website only AFTER having been ratified by present members of the meeting.
- Meeting Raids: Deception Bay to continue organising meeting raids on the last Saturday of each month. Last month a group of roughly 20 members convoyed up to the Nambour Steps meeting after having dinner at a Nambour burger bar. Fellowship and fun was had by all in attendance. Next raid is being organised for Alexandria Hills and Deebs is currently communicating with Sheridan of AH meeting about a dinner venue that is within close proximity to the hall.
- Deebs communicate with Chrissy of Sunshine Coast about taking on the Caboolture Hospital H & I. North Brisbane is willing to take on the commitment just need to know the details to start a roster of members.
- Northside members looking at organizing a camp. GSR to find out if NA insurance covers private property, as a member has a property available. If not groups to look at venues available and discuss possible dates. Michele to discuss with Gold Coast members about how they organize such events, possibly communicate with World Service.
- Northside members looking at another BBQ as members would like to see this take place every 3 months. Tentative date 21st July, 2018 at the same venue.
- DBay – Salads
- Strathpine – Drinks/bread/ice
- Caboolture – meat/esky/ice
- Sandgate – tea/coffee/plates/cutlery/condiments/fruit platters/bickies and dips
Northside Rep to discuss the following at LSC:
- Fund flow under the new service structure
- Agenda/Minutes/Communication from LSC to groups
- Insurances regarding activities
- What services the LSC provide; phone line, H&I, public relations, outreach and activities.
7th Tradition collected: current funds $54
Next meeting: 8th July 2018
Jackie to chair and Michele to minute.
John to organize venue.
GSF Agenda – Saturday 14/4/18
Hosted by New Farm Monday Night Villiers St Meeting
- Welcome to new groups and members
- David S (Tuesday night West End), Tyson A (Saturday night New Farm), Mandy K (Sunday Spiritual Concepts), Brad N (Lunchtime meetings), Jane T (Saturday morning New Farm), Nicole O (Service Board member and Lunchtime meetings), Rodney H (observing), Tim S (Wednesday night Highgate Hill), Lauren O (New Farm), Malory C (Monday night New Farm), Bruce G (Monday night New Farm), Sally A (Monday night New Farm)
- Any carry over topics from previous meetings? (5 minutes)
- Speaker meeting on the weekend of the LSC, needs volunteers/support
- Group Report form – a way to guide your group conscience (5 minutes)
- Demonstrated the Group report form to the GSF and how it can be a good tool for guiding the group conscience. Advised how the form sends group information to the Qld Service Board and helps let them know about issues. Got great suggestions from members on improving the form (examples of other items like PR ideas and H&I ideas)
- Trusted Servant Topics: 35 minutes
- Who will represent the Inner City GSF at the LSC? (10 minutes)
- Mandy K (pending availability) and Brad N with backup support from Lauren O and Jane T
- What will we report to the LSC? (10 minutes)
- Discussion around how to provide the best visibility was to use the Qld Service Site and the group report forms
- Activity – Check Meetings List Accuracy (10 minutes)
- Identified a couple of meetings that could use clarification notes. Wednesday West End is actually now in Highgate Hill
- How do we get more groups attending the GSF? – Actions? (5 minutes)
- Personally approach groups members for other groups to appeal to them to send representation. Rethink Saturday mornings as anyone with kids is usually tied up with extracurricular activities.
- Who will represent the Inner City GSF at the LSC? (10 minutes)
- Financial Topics (15 minutes)
- Discussion on how groups manage their funds.
- Accounting/record keeping tools – How does your group keep a record?
- How to open a not for profit bank account
- Minute the full names of those who will be signatories
- Transactions require at least 2 people to process a withdrawal or transfer
- Arrange a Saturday morning visit to a branch with all members
- Present the minutes (on letterhead paper) to the bank and establish identity of members
- Moving forward if members need to be taken off or added this is handled by additional minutes supporting the changes and current signatories (ideally those who are signing off will be able to sign supporting documentation and attend the branch)
- Fund flow
- Group fund flow has decreased significantly since the creating the new service structure. Point of information to encourage groups to flow funds. Many were unsure of how to flow them. Bank account details provided to help facilitate better management of funds
- Bank account details for Greater QLD Bank
- BSB. 124050
- BSB. 124050
Provided copies of the Treasurers handbook for representatives to take back to groups and familiarize themselves with recommendations from NAWS.
- Atmosphere of Recovery – Discussion (15minutes
“Have you ever thought about how we provide for addicts who relapse?
Our trusted servants?
What kind of impression would a visitor or a newcomer have of our homegroup? What is an atmosphere of recovery? How do we help members who interfere with an atmosphere of recovery?
Predatory Behaviour/Violence in meetings
Children in meetings
Useful and insightful discussion. Support of same sex members suggested. Emphasis on spirituality and ethical behavior not moralizing. Personal reflection.
- Other Topics
Local Service Conference details
Speaker meeting – hosted by the Northside GSF
Special thank you to David S for stepping up to take minutes from the meeting.