Welcome to the Greater Queensland Local Service Page

This site has been developed to provide a new option for NA Service communications in the Queensland Area of Narcotics Anonymous.

Any member can register and contribute.

Please keep in mind that this website is public facing and that content may be read by anyone and content could be seen as a reflection of NA as a whole.  Always be respectful and observe the Steps, Traditions and Concepts when participating.

When posting always select a category for your post to fit appear on the site.  Please don’t select more than one category.

 

Inner City Brisbane Group Support Forum – 14/04/18

GSF Agenda – Saturday 14/4/18

Hosted by New Farm Monday Night Villiers St Meeting

  1. Welcome to new groups and members
    1. David S (Tuesday night West End), Tyson A (Saturday night New Farm), Mandy K (Sunday Spiritual Concepts), Brad N (Lunchtime meetings), Jane T (Saturday morning New Farm), Nicole O (Service Board member and Lunchtime meetings), Rodney H (observing), Tim S (Wednesday night Highgate Hill), Lauren O (New Farm), Malory C (Monday night New Farm), Bruce G (Monday night New Farm), Sally A (Monday night New Farm)
  2. Any carry over topics from previous meetings? (5 minutes)
    1. Speaker meeting on the weekend of the LSC, needs volunteers/support
  3. Group Report form – a way to guide your group conscience (5 minutes)
    1. Demonstrated the Group report form to the GSF and how it can be a good tool for guiding the group conscience. Advised how the form sends group information to the Qld Service Board and helps let them know about issues. Got great suggestions from members on improving the form (examples of other items like PR ideas and H&I ideas)
  4. Trusted Servant Topics: 35 minutes
    1. Who will represent the Inner City GSF at the LSC? (10 minutes)
      1. Mandy K (pending availability) and Brad N with backup support from Lauren O and Jane T
    2. What will we report to the LSC? (10 minutes)
      1. Discussion around how to provide the best visibility was to use the Qld Service Site and the group report forms
    3. Activity – Check Meetings List Accuracy (10 minutes)
      1. Identified a couple of meetings that could use clarification notes. Wednesday West End is actually now in Highgate Hill
    4. How do we get more groups attending the GSF? – Actions? (5 minutes)
      1. Personally approach groups members for other groups to appeal to them to send representation. Rethink Saturday mornings as anyone with kids is usually tied up with extracurricular activities.
  1. Financial Topics (15 minutes)
    1. Discussion on how groups manage their funds.
    2. Accounting/record keeping tools – How does your group keep a record?
    3. How to open a not for profit bank account
      1. Minute the full names of those who will be signatories
      2. Transactions require at least 2 people to process a withdrawal or transfer
      3. Arrange a Saturday morning visit to a branch with all members
      4. Present the minutes (on letterhead paper) to the bank and establish identity of members
      5. Moving forward if members need to be taken off or added this is handled by additional minutes supporting the changes and current signatories (ideally those who are signing off will be able to sign supporting documentation and attend the branch)
  1. Fund flow
    1. Group fund flow has decreased significantly since the creating the new service structure. Point of information to encourage groups to flow funds.  Many were unsure of how to flow them.  Bank account details provided to help facilitate better management of funds
  2. Bank account details for Greater QLD Bank
    1. BSB. 124050
      ACC. 20988136

Provided copies of the Treasurers handbook for representatives to take back to groups and familiarize themselves with recommendations from NAWS.

  1. Atmosphere of Recovery – Discussion (15minutes

“Have you ever thought about how we provide for addicts who relapse?

Our oldtimers?

Our trusted servants?

What kind of impression would a visitor or a newcomer have of our homegroup? What is an atmosphere of recovery? How do we help members who interfere with an atmosphere of recovery?

Predatory Behaviour/Violence in meetings

Children in meetings

Primary Purpose

Useful and insightful discussion.   Support of same sex members suggested.  Emphasis on spirituality and ethical behavior not moralizing.  Personal reflection.

  1. Other Topics

Local Service Conference details

Speaker meeting – hosted by the Northside GSF 

Special thank you to David S for stepping up to take minutes from the meeting.

 

Minutes_CQ_NA_GSF_meeting_07.04.2018

Central Queensland Narcotics Anonymous Group Support Forum

07/04/2018

Meeting start – 10:45am

Facilitator- Mustafa (Mus)

Minuets- Danette

Attendees – Mus, Merv, Indy, Lorin, Sean, Lee, Shane, Stewey, Michael, Danette, Eric

Apologies – Tammy, Nikki

GSF commenced with a moment of silence followed by a general rundown of what a GSF is about.

Did an I.D. around the table, clean time, home group, and service position.

Had a discussion about which topics the group members were most interested in tabling and discussing. Came to a group consensus about what to discuss.

Topics we committed to bringing to the table were;

1. Financial / Banking situation

2. Wednesday night Rockhampton meeting

3. Unity day / convention

4. Service positions and separating service positions

Topic One –

Discussion around how the 7th is currently being stored. Indy (CQ Treasurer) proposed setting up a bank account.

It was also noted that the Yeppoon & Emu Park meetings had been supporting the Rockhampton meeting with literature and resources to date.

Members spoke about how in other fellowships they had opened a bank account ensuring there were two signatories.

Action – Indy will look at what’s involved in setting up a bank account and bring her findings back to the group via Mus.

Topic Two –

Discussed how we aren’t comfortable with not having to pay rent for the meeting held on Wednesday nights at the Gumbi Gumbi rehab in Rockhampton. A few members were not happy with the fact that it isn’t in line with our traditions (7th) and how can we change this.

Action – Danette to make an appropriate time make an appointment with the Manager at Gumbi and propose that we pay a fee / make a donation to ensure we are keeping in line with our self-supporting traditions. Mus and Danette to attend.

Topic Three –

Discussion around Unity Day / Convention and how much work is involved in running one of these. Mus discussed the intricacies in pulling off a successful convention with other NA members experienced in Convention Committees and fed back some of the challenges involved.

Stewy then bought to the table his AA experience and how he has organized a weekend Recovery event before. Suggested that since NA is relatively in its infancy in the Capricornia Region that this might be a better idea than going straight into trying to hold a convention. So then it was discussed that perhaps we should have a unity weekend instead of jumping straight into a convention.

People then bought to the table ideas of possible venues where this could happen it was suggested that PCYC / Cool Waters Holiday Park as potential venues as they can cater for all budgets. It’s a location that has cabins, dorms and camping grounds.

It was also suggested that Lake Awaunga could be a possible location.

Stewy suggested that Great Keppel Island would be a good place for a unity day as well.

Action – Indy to do research on the PCYC option also possibly approaching the department of education on North Keppel Island. Stewy to do research on the Lake Awunga option too.

Topic 4 –

Service positions and allocating service positions

Yeppoon Meeting

Tammy – Secretary

Indy – Treasurer

Mus – GSR

Sean – Milk and bickies

Emu Park Meeting

Danette nominated Lorin as the Secretary of the Emu Park meeting and a a concencus from the group agreed which she happily accepted.

Lorin – Secretary

Indy – Treasurer

Mus – GSR & milk and bickies

Rockhampton Meeting

The Rockhampton meeting has historically had a transient membership / attendees, very few to no Home Group members, and service positions have been inconsistent. As only 2 Rockhampton members were present at the GSF, it was decided that a group conscience will be held on the 11/4/18 to try and allocate some service positions.

General Business

There were discussions / suggestions that we need to be educating the members early in recovery / and members from other 12 step fellowships on how to be less judgemental and that were are all on a journey. How we can best support each other in listening for the similarities and not the differences. How also to best “share” at a meeting. Suggested that this can done by setting an example in the way that the older cleaner members share. Possibly having a workshop about ‘how to best carry the message.’

We talked about making sure that we have the same pre amble across all meetings in CQ e.g. suggesting if anyone wants to make this meeting their home group all members raise their hand and see someone afterwards, mention that Alcohol is a Drug and we abstain from all drugs etc.

There was discussion in the group regarding whether or not a separate literature person needs to be appointed as this has been the role of the Treasurer to date. No change to this was decided upon.

Current 7th balance = $120

Miscellaneous Actions –

  1. Mus to share everyone’s numbers so that information can be shared accordingly and with everyone’s consent.
  2. Everyone (members) to text Mus their email addresses

Recepts were submitted and 7th for Rocky meeting to Treasurer

Date for next GSF will be on the 12/5/18

Facilitator – Indy

Minute taker – Lorin

Time & Venue – 10:30am @ Rockhampton Botanical Gardens

GSF closed at 12:25pm with the addict’s prayer and the group collective of the serenity prayer.

Cairns GSF agenda & minutes. 7/4/18

CAIRNS GSF 7/4/18 3.30 PM AT GIRL GUIDE HALL BEFORE SAT MEETING.

 

AGENDA ITEMS.

 

1 To decide on GSF delegate to represent Cairns at the LSC on 26&27/5/18 in Lawnton.

 

2 FUND FLOW… HOW TO RAISE AWARENESS.

This is from the board in an effort to have a QLD area wide conversation on the topic.

in some countries , the sec reads the groups financial report after each meeting. If not it is viewed unfavourably.

Do you think it’s a reasonable thing to do? I.e. read the financial report after meeting.

How do you have the conversation about fund flowing without challenging a groups autonomy?

 

  1. WHAT DO WE WANT THE DELEGATE TO TAKE TO THE LSC?.

 

  1. DO WE WANT ANOTHER TRADITIONS WORKSHOP? If so

Which tradition and what venue and when.?

MINUTES FROM CAIRNS GSF 7/4/18.

Attendance: Damon, Ben, Kingsley, Phil, Clinton, Tony, Krishna, Tanya, Jan D & Derryl.

Meeting commenced 3.30 pm. Facilitator Tanya.

Minute taker Tony.

Service Prayer followed by round table introductions.

1…GSF Delegate?

Consensus reached for Kingsley to be the delegate and Damon to be the alternate delegate.

2…Fund flow (check agenda attached) much discussion was had. Consensus reached that groups should display their financial status at each Group Conscience.

 

3.Discussion on what Kingsley should take to LSC.

PR was the hot topic. Interest in how does NA approach social media for ads? MUCH DISCUSSION in all matters pertaining to PR. Lack of willing volunteers was highlighted as a constraining factor in how well we can carry the message especially to professional organisations/bodies.

 

Consensus reached “That each group should be responsible for providing their own local meeting lists”

Minute taker will attach PDF of local meeting list to minutes.

Tony has undertaken to obtain literature for next PR run.

 

Hamish has “office works” card for printing meeting lists for PR purposes.

 

4.Traditions Workshop?

Consensus reached on YES! Tradition 11. Agreed to hold over deciding date & venue till next GSF.

Meeting ended 5.00pm.

No date or venue set for next GSF.

YIS

Tony S.