Qld, Brisbane, Inner City
Group Support Forum
1.30pm – 3.00pm
Host: Rainbow Recovery, Wed 6.15 New Farm
Rainbow Recovery: Janice, Jason, Adam, Eliza, Sonja and Karl
Spring Hill: Mikhala, Ben
Lunchys: Brad, Ben, Gretel
Farsi Spring Hill: Sam
Sunday Paddo: Jason
West End Wed: Jenny
Saturday new farm PM: Kandis
Started with Eliza reading the Service Prayer.
Topics from previous GSF
- there was money owing from expenses on the BBQ
- Lunchy’s put in $20
- West End going to see about putting in $20
- Has been one meeting
- Jenny coordinating
- Needs venue, discussed benefits of self catering
- Discussed Villiers st as venue?
Local Service Conference
- Venue: west end? Community centre? Villiers?
- Inner city group needs to organise catering and venue.
- Date – early May
- Janice and Eliza put hands up to investigate catering and venue
Group Report Backs
- 13 home group members (numbers have tripled)
- Service roles have changed
- Now has a greeter with a rainbow badge that says ‘greeter’
- Rent paid until mid year
- $300 to area in December
- Trying to make it a safe space for all
- Group voted down the suggestion of making it a closed meeting
- Group wants to make it a safe space for newcomers from Queer community.
Farsi Spring Hill Meeting
- New, had first meeting – 10 attendees
- Meeting is done in Farsi language, but all are welcome (and can share in English if don’t speak Farsi)
- Literature and preamble will be in Farsi
- $180 in the bank
- 3 active home group members
- 20-25 people attending each week
Wednesday West End
- Costs covered
- Attendance is up and down
- Kitchen reno’s at the moment, banners have gone missing
Spring Hill Steps and Traditions
- Have moved upstairs (same church) to a bigger room with air con.
- Doing steps one week, tradition the next week – all positive feedback on new format
- Bigger room has been at full capacity each week with around 40 people attending each week.
- 20+ regular attending home group members
- Christmas meeting was a big success with rehab people able to attend
- Everything is good
- Regularly attending home group members
- 3-4 home group members
- ID meeting now
- Discussed explaining what an ID meeting is at beginning of the meeting for those who don’t understand
Discussion – New Topics
- Promoting sales of literature
- At the start of meetings, stand for attention rather than yellow ‘shh, shutup’ etc.. as this can put people off and freaks out people who don’t have English as their first language
- Guide to Local Services – available on NAWS website. Has info on service roles.
- Uniting Brisbane’s different groups (north, south, west and inner city) – how to create unity
- Discussed making it our own personal choices to go and attend meetings all across Brisbane to keep lines of communication open
- New phone line system
- No feedback, which is probably good feedback
- Group service roles, clean time requirements
- See group guide on naws
- Jenny mentioned that googling “NAWS + [question]” will help us answer any questions we have about service etc.
Closed with Serenity Prayer in the plural at 3.00pm
118 Station Road, Bethania
1st December 2008,1.30-3pm
Present: Nicolette; Samuel; Allan; Kylie; Nick; Santos; Jeff (via phone)
Apologies: JJ; Lyndon; Bney; Don; Jess
Opened with Serenity Prayer – plural
Read 10th Concept
Around the room ID
Samuel – Acacia Ridge (Wednesday)
- Rent is paid until Dec 2018
- Literature order is needed
- Key replacement
- 10-15 attending
- Need service positions filled
Jeff- Daisy Hill (Tuesday)
- Paid $360 rent in advance
- $140 spent on literature
- Good attendance 20-30+
Nick – Alex Hills (Saturday)
- Rent paid until December 2018
- Current balance $188.95
- Supporting Alex Hills Monday night
- Secretary position is vacant
- Literature complications with order – over 2 months wait for order to be delivered
- 13-16 people attending
Kylie –Alex Hills (Monday)
- Positions filled
- 10-12 people attending
- Rent paid in advance
- Current balance $10
- Needing literature but will be supported by Wynnum & Alex Hills (Saturday)
Allan –Loganlea (Sunday)
- New GSR hasn’t attended GSF
- Secretary position is vacant
- Rent paid for remaining of 2018
- 10-15 attendance
- Literature & key tags up to date
- Keytags – required
- Basic text – required
- Rent – will talk to Brodie
- Approximately 5-8ppl
Nicollette –Bethania (Saturday)
- Rent paid on 8th
- Literature & key tags –good
- 10-15 ppl
Nicollette –Beenleigh (Friday)
- Rent paid until end of 2018
- Literature is up to date
- 10-18 ppl
Samuel –Wynnum (Thursday)
- $75 order of literature
- Rent is current
- $35 – Poster printing
- 25-40 ppl
- Service positions filled
- New Business
Logan to start putting updates on the online forum
How to run a GSF Workshop (to be discussed at next GSF)
Suggestion made to create an event organising position for Logan Bayside
Look for more ways to promote NA in Logan area (attraction not promotion)
Advertise “Service” in recovery shares and share the benefits of service work
Suggestion made to host a “Sponsor & Service Workshop” next year
Suggestion made that Logan Bayside put together a bid for 2020 Greater QLD Convention – To be discussed at next GSF
- “Logan Christmas in the Park” Saturday 22/12/18 @ Riverdale Park 12pm; Bring a plate; Flyers to be made; will include games & entertainment
- Australia Day Event – 26/1/2019 a BBQ at Wynnum foreshore; Take it back to all groups as to a $20 donation from each group to cover costs; Provide Samuel with the $; Flyers to be made up – 137 Wynnum Esplanade, Wynnum QLD 4178 ? Query on address
Next GSF consider time / 19th January 2019 12-3pm TBC
Meeting Closed in Serenity Prayer
GSF Name: Brisbane Inner City
GSF Delegate Name and Contact Details: Mikhala
GSF Meeting Day and Time: Sunday 25 Nov. 18, 1.30pm-3.30pm
GSF Meeting Location: Lower Bowen Tce, New Farm
Opened with moment of silence, serenity prayer in the plural, read around the room the ‘purpose of gsf’.
Group Names, Days, Times, Contacts:
Sunday 4.30pm Spiritual Concepts, New Farm (Facilitated the GSF)
General members of NA inner city with no home group
Saturday 8.45am New Farm
Tuesday 6.30pm Steps and Traditions, Spring Hill
- Ben A
Wednesday 6.15pm Rainbow Recovery, New Farm
Monday 7.30pm Villiers Street, New Farm
Mon – Fri 12.15pm New Farm Lunchy’s
- Ben A
Saturday 6.30pm New Farm
Group Report Backs
Sunday Spiritual Concepts
Meeting attendance is good, hosted the GSF, has fund flowed $200 to area, all service positions filled.
Fund flowing to Area, received bank details. Discussion around using ‘research’ as a synonym for ‘relapse’ and how this can harm those returning from relapse. Implementing an acknowledgement of country.
New treasurer (Ben). 5 secretaries. Working around having so many meetings and how to manage the money.
Reports 7th received at each meeting and where funds are at. Wants to change service positions regularly to avoid any one person being in charge of the meeting. Every 3 months suggested. Sam is handing over the keys as secretary soon. The meeting needs active home group members. There is a lack of older cleaner members helping out. Members at GSF put their hands up to help open the meeting.
Ben and Aaron dropping meetings lists around local area. Group is deciding to move venue due to increased attendance. Has fund flowed to area. Moved to 6.30pm start time, now doing traditions every second week. Lots of home group members, group is expanding.
Venue unavailable more often which is an issue, holding it in the Rotunda on these weeks. Needs more home group members. Has strong attendance, lots of new comers but not much older cleaners joining the group.
Fund flowed $200 to area. Rent has been paid. 6 home group members. Discussed making the group a safer space for LGBTIQ+ members who attend. Some members feeling unrepresented with non-lgbtiq attendance. Have reached out to rainbow meetings in other regions for support.
New meeting: Farsi Speaking
Farsi speaking addicts who don’t speak English struggle to attend English only meetings and hear the message. Farsi speaking members around 6 men prepared to help start a new meeting. Discussed getting funds to help with literature and rent. Members to contact the board.
New meeting: Early mornings 7-8am
Reza and Ali want to start an early morning meeting in the city Monday and Thursdays 7-8am. Some members discussed how previous early morning meetings have shut, insurance and members to contact board for more info.
Ozcare H& I: Suggestion
Natan asked if we could bring a h&I meeting to the mens shelter in west end. Group discussed this, and directed Natan to speak to the board. Speak to Dave’s that run Hads and Moonyah roster.
Christmas Day Fellowship
Hayley, Brad, Mikhala, Mel to start organising a Christmas day event. Sat AM meeting to help.
Encouraging newcomers to do service
Share that it includes cleaning and packing away chairs, small stuff not just official roles. Thank those that do service, lack of mentoring from OCMs, importance of sponsors to share with sponsee’s the importance of service and what that means. Have a greeter (in Iran, they wear a badge) to welcome people to the meeting. Groups responsibility to encourage service and welcome new comers,
Local Service Conference and Convention
Discussed whether the Inner City was willing to help organise venue and catering for the LSC next year. Hayley, Brad, Natasha, Natan and Mandy put their hands up.
Reza, Ben, Brad, Hayley, Mel, Natasha, Mandy put their hands up to help organise a convention for Brisbane. Concern about whether it will conflict with the Byron convention or Cairns.
Date: Early Jan, 5th or 6th
Host: Rainbow or Villiers St
To be posted on the website once decided
May hold a workshop on how to get and keep home group members
Average Weekly Attendance
Trusted Servant Topics
Treasurer and Secretary Janice
Literature and Tea/Coffee Monique
Atmosphere of Recovery
The atmosphere is calm welcoming .
Topics of discussion are varied for each meeting .
A group Conscience was held and decided , at the end of the meeting for sponsors to make them selves known .
– need more LGBTI topics / discussion
FInancial figures supplied by treasurer Janice
Prudent Reserve (Remaining Balance)
Your Email Address
Area Secretary’s Email Address
Cairns GSF – Saturday 6 October
3:30pm at Thomas Street
Attendees; Damon – Mens, Krishna – Sat, Tony – Tues, Kingsley – Fri, Ange – Thurs, Hamish – Observer
• Cairns Groups
Tuesday meeting going well
Friday struggling. One member. Needs Treasurer.
Meetings consider ask for group members if they want members.
Each group decides to send a representative to the GSF or not. Officially elected or not.
Each group makes an autonomous decision on all subjects.
It is not the GSFs place to dictate to groups about anything.
Discussion: What is Membership?
• Group conscious.
Mon – regular. 1st Monday
Tues – two members. New meeting. No group conscious yet.
Wed – No one representing
Thurs – no group conscious
Fri – one group member. No group conscious.
Sat – add hoc
Sun – No one representing
• Meetings list:
Discussion; Cairns meetings get lost in the Greater Queensland meetings list.
Suggest that groups consider change group name with Cairns up front. ie Cairns Men’s Mondays.
• Fund flow to GQB – All Cairns groups are fund flowing
• National telephone number:
1300 652 820 or 0488 811 247
Our local number, 07 4054 3483,
The decision to port our local number rests with the groups.
Tony to action to port local number once groups decide.
Concurrently this will decision actions to remove our old number from literature
• PR Project – an opportunity to notify contacts of our new national number.
It was decided at the last GSF that the GSF would absorb the PR project as part of an ongoing agenda. This
has now been reversed. Hamish is driving PR project. The GSF is not a decision making body
• Role of GSF
It’s not the GSFs place to make decisions. It is not a decision making body. It is a discussion forum.
Discussion on NAWS workshops. IDT: Issue Discussion Topics.
Hamish had the 500 copies printed of the save the date flyer to show us.
Up coming GSF dates 2018: 1 December, 3:30pm at Thomas Street,
Group Service Forum, 7th October 2018
Members in attendance:
Deebs (Deception Bay)
Fund flow and 7th – whats happening with each groups funds.
Emailing chair for agenda items.
GSF funds – only attending groups need contribute.
Strathpine group report
15-20 attending each week
Treasurer sharing position/literature orders
Fund flowed $80
Deception Bay group report
15-20 attending each week
Looking for home group members
Fund flowed $200
Caboolture group report
Looking for home group members
Need to order meetings list- will download
Unsure of financial situation as treasurer has not been attending meetings
No reports forwarded from Nundah womens, Sandgate or Mitchelton.
The following GSR’s are either no longer attending meetings in the area and/or have made no contact with any GSF members so a decision was made to remove them from both email and the contact list:
The current GSF would like to thank them for their service to our area and we welcome them to attend future gatherings.
BBQ Shorncliffe Pier 24th November 2018
Caboolture – Meat
Deception Bay – Salads and onions
Strathpine – Soft drink, water and bread rolls
Sandgate – Plates, knives, forks, condiments, plastic bags, Ice, fruit platter & nibbles
John will organise some members to grab the usual tables for the event at 9am.
Deebs to do flyer and John to upload.
The group has decided to trial run the next GSF 6pm before the Monday night meeting 10th December, 2018 to try and encourage members to attend.
GSF – Saturday 11 August, 3:30pm at Thomas Street.
Attendees: All Cairns groups represented; Damon, Neville, Krishna, Tony, Billy, Kingsley
1. National telephone number is live – news and information
1300 652 820 or 0488 811 247
We decided that our number, 07 4054 3483, will be kept for another 6 months then it
will be decided at a GSF if we will port the number to the national account. showing ho
using txt service to get local meetings list txt. Role over agenda to decide about
printing new meetings list with national number.
2. PR Project – an opportunity to notify contacts of our new national number.
– It was decided that the GSF will absorb the PR project as part of an ongoing
3. Using NA.org – Demo by Tony. Bringing awareness to groups about accessing NA
news, documents and Greater Queensland Board agendas. Discussion of “categories
search”. Contacting the GQ service board: email@example.com
4. Fund flow to GQB – All Cairns groups are fund flowing. Well done Cairns!
5. Service culture in NA – Discussion on sponsorship and other service like tea person
and newcomer service jobs (setting up/pack up signs and banners). It was decided
that representatives would take a suggestion back to group conscious to offer
temporary sponsorship in meetings
6. H & I Report – Krishna. Encouraging participation. Discussion about clean time
requirements. Decided 2 months clean time to serve
7. A new Tuesday night Narcotics Anonymous meeting will be commencing on Tuesday
21/8/18 at 7.15 pm.
Marlin Coast Neighbourhood Centre. 205 Reed Rd. Trinity Park.
It will appear on the regional meeting list from 15/8/18 .
Up coming GSF dates 2018: 6 October and 1 December, 3:30pm at Thomas Street,
How to use this document – Just hover the pointer of the beginning of the link press ctrl then left click the mouse; the document will open.
Public Relations (PR)
Sample PR Letter
Sample Venue Hire Letter
Public Relations Guidelines and Downloadable, Printable Posters
PR Basics – NA World Site
PR Planning Basics – NA World Site
PR Handbook – NA World Site
Public Relations – NA World Site
NA @ Home – Australia
Hospital and Institutions (H&I)
H & I – The Basics
H & I – Handbook
H & I – Sample Presentation MP3 (Audio)
H & I Sample Presentation MP3 (Audio)
Outline of the New Service System
Service System Project
GSF The Basics
GSF Agenda and Facilitation Tips
GSF Basic Facilitation Guide
Consensus-Based Decision Making
LSC The Basics
LSB The Basics
Literature Downloads – NA World Site
The Group Booklet
NA Way Magazine
Greater Qld Board
Narcotics Anonymous – Australia
Greater Queensland Local Service Page
NA – Australia Help Lines
Fellowship Service Office